Since 2008, CRC Asia has done advocacy work focusing on ASEAN together with other civil society groups that are part of the Solidarity of Asian People’s Advocacies Task Force on ASEAN and Human Rights (SAPA-TFAHR).
CRC Asia has undertaken the following activities in line with its advocacy around ASEAN:
A. Support for children’s participation
- Conducted the “Southeast Asian Regional Workshop on Children’s Participation in ASEAN” in Bangkok, Thailand last February 22 to 24, 2010;
- Organized a parallel workshop to the ASEAN Children’s Forum last October 18 to 23, 2010 in the Philippines entitled “Regional Workshop to Promote and Support Children and Young People’s Participation in Asean: Making ASEAN Meaningful for Children and Young People”;
- Supported the participation of children during the ASEAN Civil Society Conference / ASEAN People’s Forum held in Jakarta, Indonesia from 3 to 5 May 2011
B. Research undertaken
- Conducted and prepared country briefing papers to map out the work of civil society organizations on child rights in five countries, i.e. Malaysia, Indonesia, Vietnam, Philippines and Thailand
C. Conduct of joint child rights campaigns
- Three position papers developed: “Submission of Child Rights Groups to the ACWC” (7 May 2009); “ASEAN Human Rights Body Should be Strong Enough to Protect the Rights of Children in ASEAN” (30 June 2009); “SEA-CRC Position Paper on the ASEAN Children’s Forum” (24 February 2010).
- Participation in regional civil society processes around ASEAN: Interface with the High Level Panel of AICHR (August 2009, Indonesia); ASEAN People’s Forum (September 2009, Thailand); ASEAN People’s Forum (September 2010, Hanoi); ASEAN Civil Society Conference/ASEAN People’s Forum (May 2011, Jakarta); 3rd Regional Consultation Meeting on ASEAN and HR (September 2010, Malaysia); Civil Society Consultation on the ASEAN Blueprints (October 2010, Thailand)
- Organized regional workshops such as the following: “Regional Consultation for Child Rights Organizations on the ASEAN Human Rights Body and the ACWC” (May 2009, Indonesia); “Southeast Asia Regional Workshop on Children’s Participation in ASEAN” (February 2010, Thailand); “Regional Workshop to Promote and Support Children and Young People’s Participation in ASEAN – Making Our ASEAN Meaningful for Children and Young People” (November 2010, Philippines).